As a parent, the safety of your children is your number one priority. You ensure that they go to the doctor at the slightest sign of illness, you offer them all the right foods, and you buy all of the safest equipment. One piece of equipment that is extremely popular these days is the jogging stroller.
These strollers typically have three wheels, with the front one on a swivel, making it easy for parents to go for a jog and maneuver the stroller over bumps, around corners, and anywhere else they need to go. But how safe are they?
For many parents, baby joggers can look unsafe. After all, we are used to strollers that have four wheels and aren’t made for rugged terrain. What might surprise you, though is that these joggers may actually be safer for your infant than the stroller you are currently using.
The best jogging stroller is made for bumps and for rough rides, which means that they have built in suspension to keep your baby from being shaken and jostled around whenever you do hit a bump, but this is only the beginning of the reasons that they are so safe.
Stroller Safety Tips
When using jogging strollers, here are some tips that mom and dad should be mindful of:
• Get in the habit of using the foot brake when the stroller is stopped.
• Don’t put shopping bags on the handlebar. They go in the basket under the seat.
• Fill out the warranty card and send it to the manufacturer.
• Be sure the stroller is in the locked position when putting the child in.
• Don’t use a baby jogger until the child is 6-8 month old.
• Follow the recommended weight limits for your stroller.
• Prevent slipping of sweaty hands by using the safety strap.
• Be sure to look both ways when crossing the street.
• Always use the safety harness.
• Never leave baby unattended in the stroller.
• Watch out for little fingers when folding and unfolding the stroller.
While jogging strollers are incredibly durable, they are not made to withstand a collision with a car. Getting into an accident while out for a stroll is incredibly unlikely, but in the age of cell phones and distracted drivers, it is certainly a possibility. Most jogging strollers are made of heavy duty aluminum, which makes them much safer in the event of an accident. Reports of accidents involving these strollers show many instances where they rolled over and left the infant inside completely unharmed.
Always Use The Safety Harness
Another important safety feature in jogging strollers is the safety harness. Top quality models offer not only a five point harness, but one that can be easily adjusted to fit any child. These harnesses are usually padded for comfort and are often held to the stroller in multiple ways. In many cases, they are attached to the aluminum frame as well as to the padding of the seat as well. This helps offer the most security and helps ensure that your infant will not be jostled, moved, or shaken in the event of any sort of accident or mishap.
By keeping these safety tips in mind, your family can enjoy more time out together. By being safety conscious at all times, this will become routine for you and baby. When safety precautions are combined with these awesome strollers, it is easy to see why they are popular among parents.